What is Approval Routings
An approval routing is a way to have employee requests automatically routed to the appropriate managers for approval, for modules such as Leaves, Expenses and Travel.
For example, when an employee applies to take a leave, the company has to decide who needs to approve this leave request. Some company policies only require the direct managers to approve a request, while some require more than one approval level. This can all be set up digitally in altHR. Once set up, employees can conveniently check on their AltHR app if their requests for leaves or expenses have been approved and completed.
Applying approval routing employees involves 2 Steps
- Creating a General Approval Routing in People Module - Read Here How to Create General Approval Routings
- Creating a Default Approval Routing in Leaves, Expenses or Travel Modules - In this Article
When approval routings are created in the People module, they are not applied anywhere yet. All possible routings are just stored in a list here for you to select from when setting up default approval routings on each module separately, after which the feature will be applied and active.
To set a Default Approval Routing in Leaves Module:
A default approval routing is the "go-to" approval routing for a policy unless otherwise stated. Before creating the default approval routings, it must exist in the approval routings "bank" under the people module.
A default approval routing created for the leave module would mean that all leave policies will follow this routing unless otherwise specified. This applies to all modules that work with approval routings.
In the process of setting up a default approval routing, keep in mind to include special routings for certain individuals, organisations or job bands. For example, all leave requests of the management team of the company requires the approval an extra HR personnel, as opposed to the rest of the company, then this routing should be included in the set up of the default approval routings for leaves.
1. On your admin dashboard, head to the left panel.
2. Click Leaves > Settings.
3. Click on the Default Approval Routing tab.
4. Click Create Default Approval Routing.
5. Select the Group that you'd like the approval routing to be applied to.
- Organisation - type the organisations name. You can select more than ONE organisation.
- Employees - key in the employees' name. You can select more than ONE employee.
- Job Band - select the job bands based on need. Use case: All management team have to get approval from CEO.
6. Select the approval routings you require. You can add different approvers based on the number of leave days applied if required simply by adding the + button.
Select the no. of days (if applicable). For example, If you put less than 5 days for the first approval route, Any request of less than 5 days will follow LM approval routing. Any request of 5 days or more, will follow the 2nd approval routing, for example, LM >
8. Confirm by clicking Confirm and you're done.
How to Apply Additional Approval Routing to Leave Policy
When configuring individual policies, there is an option to apply the default approval routing or not. In the instance where a leave policy does not follow the default approval routing, then the admin may create a custom routing. This is done via Leaves > Policies > Select Policy > Edit > Scroll down to Section 4
Admins will be required to create an Additional Approval Routing that 'Applies to All' before they can add another Additional Approval Routing that is more Specific.
Select Add Approval Routing and set up the approval routing as needed.