What is an Annual Leave Policy
Annual Leave Policies are a compulsory yearly leave entitlement for most employees. These leave policies are refreshed annually, and have a number of customisable rules and features, such as enabling Pro-Rata leave dates (both Pro-Rated by month & Monthly Earned Leave Basis), allowing for Carry Forward Leave (which allows employees to carry forward unutilized leave dates from this year to the next leave cycle), as well as enabling employees to apply for Emergency Leave.
To set up annual leave policy:
On your admin dashboard, head to the left panel.
Click Leaves > Policies.
Click Create Leave Policy.
Select Annual Leave .
Click Create Policy.
Fill in the required fields. For specific details, refer to the paragraphs below.
Confirm by clicking Confirm.
Click Leaves > Policies.
On the right of the policy, under Status, slide ON.
Confirm by clicking OK to activate the policy. This will allow employees to view and submit a leave request for this policy.
What to fill in
Section 1: Policy Information
Select leave category as Annual Leave
Enter leave policy name for internal purposes. For example, Annual Leave for Contract Staff
Tick the display name box and enter a display name. This is what your employees will see. For example, Annual Leave.
If you require your employees to provide attachments and description, tick the relevant boxes.
Advanced Settings allows you to set more thorough settings such as working or calendar days and requirements to apply for annual leave in advance. Tick the Emergency Leave box to set a limit on emergency leave days and allow employees to still apply for leave if it’s not within the required days in advance. This leave request will be flagged as an emergency leave in the admin dashboard
Section 2 : Eligibility
Select Yes, if all employees are eligible to submit a leave request on this policy.
Select No, and choose the relevant criteria for the group of employees that are allowed to submit a leave request for this policy . For example, you only want Permanent and Contract employees to be able to submit a request for this policy; select contract type and check only Permanent and Contract. This allows only employees tagged as Permanent and Contract to view this leave policy in their app and apply for this leave request.
Section 3 : Entitlement
Enter the default entitlement days. For example, 14 (days annual leave in a year).
Advanced Settings allows you to choose
- When does this Leave Cycle Refresh : Choose between Annually on a selected date, or Annually on the employee's Work Anniversary.
- Mandatory consecutive leave setting : Choose if employees can apply one day at a time or if they must apply multiple days at a time
- Allow Half Day
- Configure different entitlement for different employees
To Configure Different Entitlement for Different employees
Select No under "Same Entitlement for All?"
For Example: for employees' leave entitlement to increase according to years of service, adjust the Entitlement Setting to Years of Service criteria.
Configure the years of service range for different entitlements
Set the entitlement for employees in those Years of Service in the table below. For example, employees who are within 2 years of service receive 10 days, when they've reached the next category of 2-5 years they will have 15 days and so on.
To understand how the employee's leaves will be calculated and changed according to changes in their years of service, here is an example:
Employees start off with an entitlement of 10 days per year, and after reaching 2 years of service, they have an entitlement of 15 days a year.
If an employee reaches their 2nd Work Anniversary in June 2023, our system will calculate a pro-rated combination of leave entitlement for this employee. Come June, the employee will have a total entitlement of (10days/12months x 5months) + 15days/12months x 7 months)
So upon reaching the employees 2nd work anniversary, they will have a total entitlement of 12.9 days for this year. The following year they will receive the full 15 days entitlement.
Section 4 : Pro Rata
Select No, if you do not prorate your leaves.
Select Yes, if you prorate your leaves. Select Full Entitlement on a pro rata basis or Earned Leave. Full entitlement on a pro rata basis means that, for example, every employee is entitled to 14 days annual leave and your leave cycle is set to 1 January until 31 December, if a new employee joins half way throughout the year, the employee will be entitled to 7 days annual leave for the remainder of the year. Earned leave means that employees will receive their leave entitlement after completing the specified number of days. You can experiment here as it will show a simulated leave entitlement before you confirm the settings.
The Start and End date table below refers the amount of monthly entitlement the employee should receive in their first month of joining the company, based on their join date.
For example, if an employee should receive 2 days of leave entitlement per month, an employee who joins between 1st-10th June will receive 2 days of leave entitlement in the month of June. If they join within 11th-12th of June, they will receive 1 day of leave entitlement for the month of June. And if they join between the 13th-End of the Month, they will not receive any leave entitlement for the month of June.
Section 5 : Carry Forward
Admins can enable employees to carry forward unutlised leave days from this leave cycle to next year's leave cycle.
- Select No to disable carry forward leaves. Select Yes to enable Carry Forward Leaves.
- Select Automatic or Manual Carry Forward
- Input a limit if all employees will have the same limit of how many leave days they can carry forward, or choose to configure the limit based on the entitlement table configured in the Entitlement Section of leave policy settings
- Select when the Carry Forward Leaves will expire, and if they expire on a tiered basis
- Admins can also enable Carry forward of Unutilised Carry Forward Leaves to the following year, as well as Unutilised Replacement Credits to the following year
- Select Yes, if you would like to use the default approval routing as set in Leaves > Settings.
- Select No, to set specific approval routings. Click Add Approval Routing. Choose Group, Select Approval Routing. Click Confirm. Repeat this step to add multiple groups of employees.
Important note: Make sure to add an ALL entry (groups ALL, applied to ALL) to avoid any routing errors.
- Tick Auto Approved to auto-approve a leave request after receiving no response from the employee’s manager after a chosen number of days.
- Select Yes, If you would likes to use the same Approval Routing for leave Cancellation Requests. Select No if you would like to add an approval Routing to be used for leave Cancellation Requests