What is Leaves Module
The Leaves Module, is where Admins can digitalised the Leave application and management process for the company. Admins are able configure leave policies accordingly, view and manage employee's leave requests and balances as well as configure the approval routings. There are several steps that must be completed in Setting up the Leaves Module :
1. Complete Set Up of People Module
2. Set Up Approval Routings
3. Set Up Work Days
4. Set Up Holidays
5. Set Up Leave Policies
6. Import Leave Requests
7. Modify Leave Balances if needed
8. Configure Leave Request Limit if needed
What is a Generic Leave Policy
Generic Leave Policies are leave policies that admins can use for any other types of leaves besides Annual Leave.
Examples of Leaves that can be created by using the Generic Leave Policy include Hospitalisation Leave, Sick Leave, Maternity/Paternity Leave, Marriage Leave, Compassionate leave, Unpaid Leave and any other leave policies your company may provide to your employees.
Generic Leave Policies have other customisable features such Pay Type (Full Paid, Half Paid, Unpaid), Refresh Frequency ( Monthly, per transaction, yearly). Admins also have the ability to group multiple Generic Leaves together under a Special Leave, where the multipe generic leave policies can share their combined entitlement.
To Set Up a Generic Leave policy:
On your admin dashboard, head to the left panel.
Click Leaves > Policies.
Click Create Leave Policy.
- Select Annual Leave .
- Click Create Policy.
- Fill in the required fields. For specific details, refer to the paragraphs below.
- Confirm by clicking Confirm.
- Click Leaves > Policies.
- On the right of the policy, under Status, slide ON.
- Confirm by clicking OK to activate the policy. This will allow employees to view and submit a leave request for this policy.
What to fill in
Section 1: Policy Information
Select leave category as Generic Leave
Enter leave policy name for internal purposes. For example, Sick Leave for Contract Staff.
Tick the display name box and enter a display name. This is what your employees will see. For example, Sick Leave.
If you require your employees to provide attachments and description, tick the relevant boxes.
Advanced Settings allows you to set more thorough settings such as
- Employees can apply on working days only or calendar days,
- The Pay Type of this leave, such as Full Pay, Half Pay or Unpaid
- Requirements to apply for the leave in advance.
- Requirement for employees to select Start and End time for Half Day leaves.
Section 2: Eligibility
Select Yes, if all employees are eligible to submit a leave request on this policy.
Select No, and choose the relevant criteria for the group of employees that are allowed to submit a leave request for this policy . For example, you only want contract employees to be able to submit a request for this policy; select contract type and uncheck the permanent box. This allows only employees tagged as Contract to view this leave policy in their app and apply for this leave request.
Section 3: Entitlement
Select if this Leave Policy has an Entitlement (Employees are entitled to take this many days if they choose) or a Limit (Employees are not entitled to use all the leave days and can only use up to the set limit)
If an Entitlement is selected, Admins can then input the number of days employees will be entitled to.
Admins then have the option to Add this Leave to Special Leave. This action is not reversible. Read ------ To learn more about Special Leaves
If Limit is Selected, Employees can then set if the leave is unlimited or limit, and set the limit if needed. Admins can also choose to allow employees to see this limit in their Leaves Module.
- Advanced Settings allows you to choose
- When does this Leave Cycle Refresh : Choose between Annually on a selected date, Per Transaction, Annually on the employee's Work Anniversary or No Refresh
- Mandatory consecutive leave setting : Choose if employees can apply one day at a time or if they must apply multiple days at a time - For Example, employees on Maternity Leave should be Mandated to apply their Full Entitlement.
- Allow Half Day
- Configure different entitlement for different employees
- Allow Leave Application to exceed balance by utilising entitlement from other Leave Policies
To Configure Different Entitlement for Different employees
Select No under "Same Entitlement for All?"
For Example: for employees' leave entitlement to increase according to years of service, adjust the Entitlement Setting to Years of Service criteria.
Configure the years of service range for different entitlements
Set the entitlement for employees in those Years of Service in the table below. For example, employees who are within 2 years of service receive 10 days, when they've reached the next category of 2-5 years they will have 15 days and so on.
To understand how the employee's leaves will be calculated and changed according to changes in their years of service, here is an example:
Employees start off with an entitlement of 10 days per year, and after reaching 2 years of service, they have an entitlement of 15 days a year.
If an employee reaches their 2nd Work Anniversary in June 2023, our system will calculate a pro-rated combination of leave entitlement for this employee. Come June, the employee will have a total entitlement of (10days/12months x 5months) + 15days/12months x 7 months)
So upon reaching the employees 2nd work anniversary, they will have a total entitlement of 12.9 days for this year. The following year they will receive the full 15 days entitlement.
Section 4: Approval Routing
- Select Yes, if you would like to use the default approval routing as set in Leaves > Settings.
- Select No, to set specific approval routings. Click Add Approval Routing. Choose Group, Select Approval Routing. Click Confirm. Repeat this step to add multiple groups of employees.
Important note: Make sure to add an ALL entry (groups ALL, applied to ALL) to avoid any routing errors.
- Tick Auto Approved to auto-approve a leave request after receiving no response from the employee’s manager after a chosen number of days.
- Select Yes, If you would likes to use the same Approval Routing for leave Cancellation Requests. Select No if you would like to add an approval Routing to be used for leave Cancellation Requests